- LEARN MORE
- SUPPLEMENT FACTS
- PRODUCT REVIEWS
2 Ways to Make Your Sugar Cravings ‘Disappear’
Our Body Ecology Sugar Buster Kit is designed to meet you where you’re at, whether you’re hoping to cut back on your sugar consumption or give up refined sugar altogether to improve your health. We’re using a two-prong approach to get right to the heart of the matter — two specific and very different products can support your body where it needs it the most as you reduce your sugar intake, minimizing or eliminating sugar cravings almost completely.
Here’s how our Sugar Buster works:
- Start with a delicious, authentic, calorie-free sugar substitute. If you’ve ever baked with a poor-quality sugar substitute before (that might be loaded with harmful chemicals), then you know how hard it can be to replicate that sugary sweetness. In addition to being natural, calorie-free, and diabetic-friendly, Golden Lakanto stands out as a sugar substitute simply because of its taste. After years of using Golden Lakanto to naturally sweeten baked goods and desserts, we firmly believe that it’s the closest natural sweetener to sugar that you’ll find anywhere, when it comes to taste and versatility.
As Mary, one of our Lakanto users, described, “Every recipe we have used Lakanto in has come out perfect and tasted amazing. Really can't recommend it highly enough. It's just the same as sugar except it has nutritional value and lends to good health.”
- Bring in the reinforcements to gobble up the bad stuff. So, you slipped up and went a little crazy on the refined sugar and sugary treats over the holidays — you’re only human, after all. Thankfully, all hope isn’t lost. Drinking a daily probiotic filled with beneficial microorganisms, like CocoBiotic, can eat up most of the bad stuff after a sugar binge. While refined sugar may feed pathogenic bacteria and yeast known to cause a cascade of health problems in the body, good bacteria can crowd out the bad bacteria to keep the gut (and your health) in balance. Tart and tangy, our CocoBiotic is also refreshing and crisp and may help to naturally offset sugar cravings with its sour taste.
“I have definitely noticed less sugar cravings which led to better meal choices and some weight loss, combined with working out,” Kimberley said.
Busting the Myths About Erythritol
Recently, we’ve seen some disappointing information circulated in our health community. Some negative reports have come out against erythritol, one of the two natural ingredients found in Lakanto. Lakanto contains non-GMO erythritol, a natural sugar alcohol found in pears, grapes, mushrooms, soy sauce, wine, and beer, along with the extra-sweet luo han guo fruit to provide its authentically sweet taste. The problem we’ve seen is when erythritol is lumped in with other sugar alcohols like xylitol, sorbitol, and malitol found in sugar-free gums and candies.
Erythritol is far different — and far superior — from other potentially troublesome sugar alcohols because it is fermented. While other sugar alcohols may cause digestive issues like diarrhea, gas, and bloating, the erythritol in Lakanto, made by fermenting the sugar in corn, does not have the same reported side effects. The fermented erythritol in Lakanto is not actually what makes it sweet. Lakanto gets its sugar-like taste when erythritol is combined with the medicinal fruit luo han guo in a uniquely patented process. Lakanto remains naturally calorie-free because 90 percent of the erythritol is excreted by the body.
Here’s another thing that sets Lakanto apart from other sugar alcohols and artificial sweeteners. Lakanto has been used and tested for more than 15 years in Japan and is recommended by the Japanese Ministry of Health, found in over 9,000 hospitals. We consider Lakanto, containing non-GMO erythritol, the safest for gut health and especially for managing common sugar cravings that mimic addiction. The non-GMO erythritol in our Lakanto is produced through the Non-GMO Project, which tracks the erythritol all the way from seed to farm and through the manufacturing process.
Despite the misinformation that has been spread, erythritol is still a safe sugar substitute and can support a healthy gut environment, with zero side effects. Erythritol can still be used by those who have SIBO and IBS. Erythritol does not cause spikes in blood sugar or insulin and has been proven more effective at preventing dental cavities in children, compared to both xylitol and sorbitol.1,2 Erythritol has also been proven time and again to be well-tolerated in feeding studies, without any toxicity or side effects.3,4
Dr. Alejandro Junger, cardiologist and New York Times best-selling author of Clean, says, "When I first tasted Lakanto, I could not believe my taste buds. How could this no sugar sweetener taste so similar to sugar? To say I was blown away is an understatement. I am officially part of the Lakanto fan club. It tastes great without having any of the toxicity that is found in processed sugar. I use it in my own kitchen and highly recommend it.”
“That's why it's so important to kick the sugar habit. I can't think of a better way to do that than by switching over to Lakanto as your go-to sweetener. In my opinion, it is the best-tasting sweetener on the planet. Lakanto won't raise your blood sugar levels, and it won't feed bad bacteria or yeast in the gut. This is why I recommended it to all my patients when they are on a detox, and even after to maintain their healthy lifestyle,” Dr. Junger says.
Are You Ready to Quit Sugar? How to Know When the Time Is Right
Sugar is one of those guilty pleasures that we’ve known we should give up — or at least cut back on — for some time now. In 2016, Australian researchers considered treating sugar addiction (a recognized condition) similarly to tobacco addiction, in the hopes of making a dent in our global obesity crisis.5,6 Another major discovery happened in the same year: Excess sugar in the Western diet was linked to an increased risk for breast cancer tumors and metastasis.7 Also in 2016, a shocking report was published by JAMA Internal Medicine, suggesting that the sugar industry paid scientists in the 1960s to blame saturated fat, instead of sugar, for heart disease.8,9
These days, sugar’s reputation isn’t looking so rosy, and more and more people are trying to kick the sweet stuff for good. Recently, Finland was the first EU member to introduce a sugar tax on foods and beverages. Pepsi has also announced its plans to cut back on the amount of sugar and calories in its notoriously sweet drinks.
Refined sugar is hard to avoid, but figuring out ways to “outsmart” sugar becomes even more important around the holidays. This is the festive time of year when sweet treats seem to be everywhere — Halloween candy, pumpkin pies, Christmas cookies, and more. Coming up with a plan of attack before the holiday fun begins can make it much easier to choose healthy treats or to bake your own using a natural sugar alternative. You can also support your gut with a nourishing probiotic when and if you do indulge in candy, dessert, or chocolate.
The time is always right to reconsider your relationship with sugar. Sugar has nothing but questionable and often negative research behind it, with the potential to pose a serious risk to your health. As so many of us have experienced firsthand, you may begin to notice a big difference in yourself as you start to cut sugar out of your life. It’s possible for larger health problems to clear up related to sugar overload in the body. The smaller symptoms like headaches, joint pain, foggy thinking, constipation or diarrhea, skin disruptions, allergies, and mood swings that we don’t directly associate with sugar may subside or even disappear.
Life is too short to waste it on sweet foods that are potentially harmful and totally devoid of nutrients. Using a calorie-free natural sugar substitute means you don’t have to feel deprived anymore. You’ll get the same sweet taste without the guilt, or the health burden. A daily probiotic can pick up the slack — cleaning up the mess that sugar has made and helping to repair any damage that’s already been done.
- Noda K, Nakayama K, Oku T. Serum glucose and insulin levels and erythritol balance after oral administration of erythritol in healthy subjects. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1994 Apr;48(4):286-92. PubMed PMID: 8039489.
- Honkala S, Runnel R, Saag M, Olak J, Nõmmela R, Russak S, Mäkinen PL, Vahlberg T, Falony G, Mäkinen K, Honkala E. Effect of erythritol and xylitol on dental caries prevention in children. Caries Res. 2014;48(5):482-90. doi: 10.1159/000358399. Epub 2014 May 21. PubMed PMID: 24852946.
- Tetzloff W, Dauchy F, Medimagh S, Carr D, Bär A. Tolerance to subchronic, high-dose ingestion of erythritol in human volunteers. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 1996 Oct;24(2 Pt 2):S286-95. PubMed PMID: 8933645.
- Munro IC, Berndt WO, Borzelleca JF, Flamm G, Lynch BS, Kennepohl E, Bär EA, Modderman J. Erythritol: an interpretive summary of biochemical, metabolic, toxicological and clinical data. Food Chem Toxicol. 1998 Dec;36(12):1139-74. Review. Erratum in: Food Chem Toxicol 1999 Jun;37(6):I-II. Bernt WO [corrected to Berndt WO]. PubMed PMID: 9862657.
- Masroor Shariff, Maryka Quik, Joan Holgate, Michael Morgan, Omkar L. Patkar, Vincent Tam, Arnauld Belmer, Selena E. Bartlett. Neuronal Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor Modulators Reduce Sugar Intake. PLOS ONE, 2016; 11 (3): e0150270 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0150270.
- Paul M. Klenowski, Masroor R. Shariff, Arnauld Belmer, Matthew J. Fogarty, Erica W. H. Mu, Mark C. Bellingham, Selena E. Bartlett. Prolonged Consumption of Sucrose in a Binge-Like Manner, Alters the Morphology of Medium Spiny Neurons in the Nucleus Accumbens Shell. Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience, 2016; 10 DOI: 10.3389/fnbeh.2016.00054.
- Yan Jiang, Yong Pan, Patrea R. Rhea, Lin Tan, Mihai Gagea, Lorenzo Cohen, Susan M. Fischer, and Peiying Yang. A Sucrose-Enriched Diet Promotes Tumorigenesis in Mammary Gland in Part through the 12-Lipoxygenase Pathway. Cancer Res, January 1, 2016 76:24-29 DOI: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-14-3432.
- Stanton A. Glantz, PhD et al. Sugar Industry and Coronary Heart Disease Research: A Historical Analysis of Internal Industry Documents. JAMA Intern Med., September 2016 DOI: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.5394.
- Marion Nestle, PhD, MPH. Food Industry Funding of Nutrition Research: The Relevance of History for Current Debates. JAMA Intern Med., September 2016 DOI: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.5400
Access the tabs below to read about the products included in your Sugar Buster kit.
- Non GMO
- Dairy Free
- Soy Free
- Gluten Free
*CocoBiotic is made from organic grains and wild-crafted coconuts that are not sprayed with any chemicals.
CocoBiotic utilizes Grainfields proprietary FermFlora natural organic fermentation process. And just like you can't judge a book by its cover, you can't judge a probiotic based on slick marketing.
Important: Many probiotics boast about how many different strains of beneficial bacteria they include, or the number of colony-forming units (CFUs) they contain. Unfortunately, these numbers can be misleading. The bacteria may not be natural to the human GI tract, or even be compatible with each other.
Instead of looking for the most strains or the most CFUs, you must look for how viable and active the cultures are and how well they will work in your gut. CocoBiotic contains a smart blend of beneficial bacteria and yeast specifically chosen to work in a symbiotic or mutually beneficial way.
- Lactobacillus acidophilus
- Lactobacillus delbreukii
One of the key reasons that CocoBiotic is such a super probiotic is due to its bioavailability as a fermented liquid food, rather than an ordinary capsule supplement. This way, the beneficial microflora in CocoBiotic’s unique fermented beverage can withstand harsh stomach acids to reach the walls of the intestine and recolonize it more effectively than capsule probiotic supplements.
Includes "built-in" prebiotics
Just like you need food to live on, the probiotics require their own food source called prebiotics. With CocoBiotic, you don’t need to worry about buying additional prebiotic supplements. Thats because CocoBiotic contains the beneficial enzyme-producing yeasts that friendly bacteria love to feed on.
Your Foundation of Wellness: Creating A Healthy And Happy Gut
The key to enhanced and vibrant health is restoring and maintaining your inner ecosystem in your digestive tract, which means promoting the growth of beneficial intestinal microflora. These vital organisms help your body defend against disease-causing bacteria, viruses, yeast and other dangerous invaders.
What’s the most effective way to create a healthy inner ecosystem?
By far, two of the most beneficial "edible tools" to promote a healthy gut are:
- Cultured vegetables
- Young coconut kefir or Body Ecology’s Probiotic Liquids
You may see probiotics sold in small jars, as a powder or packaged into capsules. But the best probiotics are found in fermented foods and our probiotics.
Because the probiotics in fermented foods are alive. And they are more likely to survive the perils of the digestive tract. The probiotics found in fermented foods are surrounded by a “protective delivery matrix.” This keeps them safe from stomach acid, bile, and digestive juices as they move from your mouth and into your colon (where they populate and set up a healthy and happy home.) And many probiotic supplement products on the market vary greatly in their potency and effectiveness (as well as their cost). They do not live up to their claims. Some are not even natural.
So we do the work for you to provide you the highest quality probiotics so you can:
- Save time and effort on culturing your own coconut water and fermented your own vegetables at home
- Enjoy the convenience and ease of having a portable probiotic liquid
- Maintain your busy lifestyle while maintaining great health
- Non GMO
- Dairy Free
- Soy Free
- Gluten Free
Lakanto is a great sugar substitute. It doesn't have the odd flavor of something like stevia, and it doesn't wreck my stomach the way that xylitol does. It really tastes like sugar, and I digest it comfortably. It does have that strange cool feeling in your mouth, which, of course, regular sugar doesn't have. But that doesn't bother me at all. It's a fantastic product. I use it daily. I'm so grateful to have this option!
(Posted on 1/2/2015)
Absolutely love it! It's a tradition of ours to make cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning and we were never able to create a sugar-free recipe that we truly loved. This was the best sugar substitute we've found so far for baking! Also, recently, I added water to some Lakanto to make a liquid to replace agave nectar and it worked great!
(Posted on 12/30/2014)
So you're committed to achieving optimal health (and fighting any health issues you may be confronted with) and perhaps you've already greatly reduced or completely eliminated sugar because you know it feeds yeast, ages you quickly and leads to all kinds of serious degenerative diseases. But let's face it, there are times when something deliciously sweet is welcomed. Yet, when we do eat it, many of us feel guilty.
We humans should not feel guilty about our desired to enjoy the sweet taste. This desire for sweet-tasting foods and drinks is quite normal. In fact, our very first food, mother's milk, was warm and sweet and we've formed an emotional bond with this taste. Trying to fight and use "willpower" to avoid the desire for the sweet taste is not the answer! That would be a losing battle.
As you know, though, refined white sugar and corn syrup is poison and even natural sweeteners like agave and honey will feed yeast and make our blood more acidic. So what choice do you really have?
Introducing Lakanto, the closest natural sweetener to sugar ever, in terms of its taste and its versatility; but not in terms of the risks it poses to your health! In fact, as you will learn below, quite the contrary.
Imagine being able to (again) make sweet treats for yourself and your family that actually taste like you used sugar, but that won't have the ill effects of sugar. Impossible? Not any longer! We are thrilled to able to bring this wonderful new zero calorie all-natural sweeter that has been extremely popular in Japan to the U.S.
In the past, if you tried to make a "healthy" birthday cake for your child or bake cookies for the holidays, you may have resorted to using agave syrup or honey in your baked goods, feeling that these were better alternatives to sugar; but those natural sweeteners do feed candida and other pathogens.
Unlike sugar and the other natural sweeteners, though, Lakanto does not feed the harmful yeast (candida) and bacteria in your body. Lakanto is even safe for diabetics! And Lakanto, the amazing all-natural sweetener, has:
- Zero calories
- Zero glycemic index
- Zero additives
- No influence on your blood sugar and insulin release
- A one-to-one ratio with sugar -- so it's easy to measure and use
What’s the difference? Taste.
Golden has a flavor similar to brown sugar or molasses.
Classic has a flavor more similar to table sugar.
Frequently Asked Question
"I've been searching for something that will help my family eat healthier, but they really don't like the taste of sugar substitutes. Does Lakanto really taste good and is it safe for everyone in my family?"
Answer: Yes, absolutely! Lakanto has been safely enjoyed in Japan for over 10 years. The Japanese Ministry of Health doesn't just approve Lakanto for use in Japan, they actually recommend it for weight loss, obesity and blood sugar problems like diabetes. Lakanto has GRAS status here in the US. In fact, over 9,000 hospitals in Japan serve Lakanto to their patients.
Coincidently, at the very same time that Donna Gates began providing stevia to America, a prominent business man in Japan began a quest to find an even closer substitute for sugar. He owned Saraya Corporation, a company with an excellent reputation for bringing healthy products to the Japanese consumer. In fact, after the war ended Japan was devastated, and besides starvation and homelessness, sanitation was a serious concern. Saraya Corporation introduced a gargling machine that was (and still is) used in schools, businesses, restaurants and hospitals all over Japan. These gargling machines greatly reduced the number of illnesses and even saved countless lives.
Saraya Corporation also became the Japanese leader in environmentally safe cleaning products for personal, home and commercial use. Their excellent products are made with coconut oil. Today Saraya Corporation devotes millions of dollars each year to provide protection and safe homelands to the pygmy elephants living in the regions where their coconuts are harvested.
Mr. Saraya has a deep interest in our children's health so he challenged his team of brilliant researches and scientists to develop the perfect natural sugar substitute. After two and a half years of relentless experimentation, Lakanto was introduced and has now become Japan's third most popular sweetener, behind sugar (and sadly) aspartame. We believe that the synchronicity between Mr Saraya's intentions and Body Ecology's own allowed our worlds to eventually be drawn together, and today Lakanto can be a part of your world as well.
Lakanto is safe for anyone - kids, diabetics, people watching their weight, hypoglycemics, and, of course, anyone with a sweet tooth. And yes, Lakanto gives you the flavor of sugar, without the many downsides.
What is Lakanto Made From?
The two natural ingredients in Lakanto are Non-GMO erythritol and the supersweet extract of the luo han guo fruit. Erythritol is a sugar alcohol naturally found in grapes, pears, mushrooms, soy sauce, cheese, wine and beer, so it and has been part of the human diet for thousands of years.
You may be familiar with other sugar alcohols like xylitol, sorbitol, and malitol used in sugar-free candies and chewing gum. But erythritol is different and much better than these other sugar alcohols because it is fermented. Yes, it is made by fermenting the sugar in corn. Many people have trouble with foods sweetened with sugar alcohols. Diarrhea and gas and bloating are frequent complaints. But Lakanto does not cause diarrhea, gas and bloating. We believe it may be because Lakanto is made by fermentation while the other sugar alcohols are made from hydrogenation.
The Erythritol in our Lakanto is:
- Specially fermented from non-GMO corn so that you know it's safe.
- Naturally low calorie because your body excretes about 90% of it.
- The 10% that remains in your system turns into harmless gases and short chain fatty acids in your large intestine. (NO, Lakanto will NOT cause embarrassing flatulence.)
Erythritol is sweet, but when used alone in a product does not taste like sugar. Only when it was combined with the sweet-tasting and medicinal fruit luo han guo - in a unique patented process - was Saraya able to create an amazing replica of sugar. The exotic luo han guo fruit grows high in the Chinese mountains, in the Guangxi province.
The Chinese have been using luo han guo fruit as a sweetener and natural remedy for years. They dry the fruit, which has a sweet toffee or caramel-like flavor, and use it in teas to ease fever, coughing and phlegm. They even use the tea for digestive troubles. In fact, the Chinese call luo han guo the "longevity fruit," because the people who live where it is cultivated often reach the ripe old age of 100!
Scientists have studied luo han guo and its health benefits extensively, and they've found that this rare fruit has amazing health properties:
- Regulate blood sugar
- Able to prevent and decrease oxidative stress related to diabetes
- Prevent tooth decay
- Inhibit tumor growth
The luo han guo fruit is naturally sweet. In fact, the special extract is 300 times sweeter than sucrose! Because luo han guo extract is sweet without affecting blood sugar, it is perfect for a healthy sugar substitute. Luo han guo extract in Body Ecology's Lakanto has:
- Zero calories. Your body does not break down the unique chemical components of the fruit like other simple sugars and carbohydrates.
- Zero glycemic index. Because your body metabolizes luo han guo differently, your blood glucose and insulin levels do not rise like they do with other sugars.
- Zero additives. Lakanto is made of the natural extract of the luo han guo fruit and erythritol.
Together, the extract of luo han guo and erythritol make one of the best healthy natural sweetener discoveries of the century: Lakanto.
Frequently Asked Question:
"The other natural sweetener you have long recommended, stevia, tastes great in drinks, but not so great in baked goods. Sometimes I like to bake though. Are you sure I can really bake with Lakanto?"
Answer: Lakanto is easy to use and tastes great in all kinds of baked goods because it bakes evenly, unlike most other natural sugar substitutes! The texture of your baked goods will be excellent! When you first taste it right out of the package, you'll notice that Lakanto actually has a flavor that is reminiscent of maple syrup but in a crystal form. It also looks a lot like turbinado sugar, the coarse granulated brown sugar you might have seen in the health food store, but Lakanto has none of the calories or health risks.
You can use Lakanto like you would use regular sugar. In fact, it is a one to one substitute for sugar.
- Looks like sugar
- Tastes like sugar
- Bakes like sugar
- Smells like sugar
Just a few of Lakanto's many other uses include:
- Coffee ( if you must drink it)
- Pumpkin or sweet potato pie
- Other baked goods
- Frozen desserts
- Quinoa cereal or your favorite cereal - sprinkled on top with cinnamon and butter
Lakanto is a protective sweetener for:
- Growing kids
- Anyone who wants to slow the signs of aging
- People with compromised immunity
- Weight loss
If you are serious about avoiding sugar, but still want to satisfy your sweet tooth, then Lakanto is the sugar solution. At Body Ecology, we believe in balance, and enjoying the sweet taste regularly is part of great health! Now you can enjoy sweet-tasting foods without worrying about your waistline, your blood sugar or your health. Lakanto is the best alternative to sugar we have ever used, and we are proud to bring it to you. Enjoy!
Tip: Grind lakanto in your coffee grinder or blender so that it mixes better with drinks!
Lakanto is the best alternative to sugar we have ever discovered by far. Use it in all your favorite recipes for calorie-free flavor that actually improves your health.
Bag size is 800g.